Friday, November 30, 2012

Deliver Me

Deliver Me from Temptation
Title: Deliver Me from Temptation
Series: The Paladin Warriors
Author: Tes Hilaire
Publication Date: December 4, 2012
Received from Sourcebooks via NetGalley


From GoodReads:
Logan Calhoun is the last full-blooded Paladin, the future leader of a race of immortal warrior angels. The heavy responsibility of continuing the Paladin line falls to him, and the last thing he should do is get involved with a human. Then fate throws Jessica Waters, a homicide detective who doesn't believe in fate or divine intervention, into his path. Her devotion lies in her Glock and a good set of handcuffs. Like Logan, she's a warrior for her people, and she awakens within him something he'd never thought he'd feel. But she's also as human as they come...

*********************************

I have to admit I had a little bit of trouble getting into this book. Now, before you Tes Hilaire fans start yelling at me...at about page 10, I had an epiphany...”hmm, I think this may be part of a series.” So I quickly researched it and found that it was indeed the 2nd book in a series. Huh...so I read the blurb and got a bit of the backstory. But honestly, although I was missing a bit of world-building because I hadn’t read #1, this book can be read as standalone. In any event, by about page 12, I was hooked!

Deliver Me from Temptation is an action-packed ride revolving around the battle between good and evil. I loved the combination of police procedural with the paranormal. I also loved the element of faith weaved throughout the book.

Jessica Waters is a prickly heroine, whose passion and devotion for her job are the direct result of the one thing causing her disbelief in fate. She has a one-track mind about getting the baddies off the streets and that kind of determination leaves little time for life. When her case puts Logan Calhoun in her path, she starts questioning - well her sanity for one thing - but also her life choices.

Logan admires Jessica’s tenacity towards saving humanity...it’s a job they share. However, he’s torn between saving her from the darkness that lives within her and claiming her for himself, which will only end in heartache for them both. He’s also dumbfounded that this woman has been fated for him - he, the last true Paladin - mated to a mere human. Not that Logan sees Jessica as a mere human, but his destiny doesn’t seem to mesh with having a human mate. But then, who is he to question fate?

The twists and turns in the plot kept me intrigued and watching Jessica and Logan stumble along the path fated for them was tear jerking and heartwarming.

The detail in the world-building was wonderful. I could see the Haven in my mind, as well as the gritty streets, smelly dumpsters and dark parking garages. The war between  Heaven and Hell is being fought here on Earth and the characters and circumstances involved in this fight have me intrigued. I’d never read a book about Paladins before and I find I like the lore Ms. Hilaire has created around this band of angels who were willing to take on the fight.

And y’all know I love a great supporting cast. Ms. Hilaire's character development of the other Paladins, as well as Jessica's partner Mike and quasi-boyfriend, Damon, is outstanding. I really look forward to reading Valin’s story...and Alex’s...and Roland and Karissa’s (1st in this series =).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??