Saturday, October 19, 2013

**Sidekick Showcase ~ #16**


Sidekick Showcase (previously known as Sidekick Saturday) is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment


**********************************


In honor of Halloween, for the entire month of October, Jaclyn has chosen Creatures of the Night as the theme. This includes witches, werewolves, vampires, ghouls, ghosts, zombies, and any other monster. :)

My pick for this week is:
Odin
from Jennifer Turner's Darkness Within Series

I dug deep this week, y'all! I've only read the first book in the series (although I own the second ;) and it's been awhile BUT this series is really unique in the vampire genre. Ms. Turner created quite a world with an interesting twist on vampires. Odin is a vampire. He also happens to be one of three sons to Lord Nelek, ruler of the vampire race. He is fiercely loyal to his brother Kerestyan. And (I'm thinking y'all are going to sense a theme here) he contributes a lot of comic relief to the story! 

"I take it you're named after the Greek God of War, Odin?"
His face scrunched up in a most unattractive way. "What is this, mix and match mythology hour? Do I look Greek to you?" She didn't have time to answer. "I'm a f#cking Norseman, not some Greek p#ssy." He fisted a hand and slammed his chest plate. "I wasn't named after Odin, I am Odin."
-Logan & Odin, Eternal Seduction

"Christ, woman, I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry. The whole point was to get you pissed off so you could meet your beast." He raised an arm and rubbed the back of his neck. "I just didn't expect you'd fire back and get to meet mine."
--Odin to Logan, Eternal Seduction

10 comments:

  1. I really like this feature. You always include cool characters w/great quotes. Thanks for sharing, Brandee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! Eternal Seduction is one of those books I found after I'd read Twilight, and I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. He IS Odin??? WT Heck is going on with this one LOL? Vampire Odin would be quite a strange thing. I love how the quote is about mix and matching mythology but sure is mixing Vampires with Norse Gods and vampires first stemmed FROM Greek and Roman mythology. I LOVE it. Very interesting. OK I have to check this one out in more depth, I'm definitely excited now. Thank you so much for sharing :D I hope you are having the best weekend ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think this is something you'd definitely enjoy reading, Jaclyn. It is really unique. I found Jennifer Turner after I'd read Twilight and I LOVED it. I hope you're having a splendid weekend, yourself! I'm enjoying a lazy Sunday after being gone all day yesterday for a marching band competition. :)

      Delete
  3. Really? He's Odin? And I haven't even met him yet *pouts* I need to meet the Norse God who is among my favorites ever, and even more so if he's a vampire now :)

    Great quotes Brandee, and I've found yet another book to add to my TBR :)

    I hope the marching band competition went well today! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some Odin, too, Lexxie! :) These books are so unique with their blending of different mythologies and supernaturals. I found Eternal Seduction after reading Twilight (and starting KMM's Fever series too, I think) and I really enjoyed it!

      The competition went very well...our band took 1st place in their class. Yay! Next weekend, we travel to the State Competition...and then the season's over. :)

      Hope your travel to London was safe! Enjoy your time there!! **hugs**

      Delete
  4. Okay, this is just messing with my head. Odin, one of the main Norse gods with a brother called Kerestyan (aka Christian??) Poor Borr, displaced by a vampire. I do like the quotes though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - lots of blending of mythologies and supernaturals in this, Vilia. And it worked, in my opinion. I really like this series! You can check out the series as www.darknesswithinnovels.com :)

      Delete
  5. Bwahahahaha re: second quote. Dude, I love Norse myths and everything associated to it. This Odin dude is my kind of guy, I will research the series he's in, I think it's time we get acquainted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fab meme! And a great sidekick too. Odin rings quite a few bells in terms of mythology; not normally my cuppa, but I'm intrigued. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??