Wednesday, March 16, 2016

#ShelfLove Discussion ~ Book Trope Blues

Bookworm Brandee

As part of the #ShelfLove Challenge, we have monthly discussion topics. March's topic is book tropes we're tired of. I have to admit that I don't really many things that turn me off books. But I was getting awfully tired of one...I've since remedied my irritation by switching up my genres, but still... I wanted to share. ;)


***

Friend: Hey, have you heard that new book where Jane is a broken soul who won't date nice guys until she meets John... 

Me: *nodding* and they have lots of sex and everything comes out rainbows and unicorns?

Friend: Oh, you've read that one? How about the one where Jane has the perfect life. Then she meets the town rebel, John...

Me: *nodding* and they have lots of sex and realize they're perfect for one another?

Friend: Wait. You've read that one too?!? Well, I bet you haven't read the one where Jane is normal and John is running from his past...

Me: *sighing* and they hook up, have lots of sex, and Jane thinks their love will fix everything while John thinks Jane will fix everything?

Friend: *frowns*
Yeah, I was reading LOTS of New Adult and it seemed like they were all the same. Broken Girl + Good Boy = sex, rainbows & unicorns OR Broken Boy + Good Girl = sex, rainbows & unicorns OR Broken Girl + Broken Boy...well, you get the picture. And all that sex, rainbows & unicorns made Brandee one *bored* reader. I really don't mind the same tropes being used but I appreciate it being made *fresh* in some way. 

I think my issues was due to being in a rut of reading NA and not much else. I've since started switching up my genres and when I read an NA now, I tend to enjoy it more. Some authors really nail this trope and deliver a fantastic story! 

How about y'all? Are there tropes that give you the blues? Make your left eye twitch?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??